- 1lb lean ground turkey
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 small sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- For garnish: avocado, salsa, hot sauce
- Heat olive oil large skillet over medium high heat
- Add sweet potato and cook 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and zucchini. Cook 4 more minutes, stirring occasionally
- In another skillet cook turkey over medium high heat until cooked through. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes (for spice)
- Add onion to vegetable skillet and cook 3 more minutes or until tender
- Add spinach and cook until wilted
- Mix in ground turkey, adjust seasonings to taste and top with avocado, salsa and/or hot sauce
You can cook the turkey in the same skillet as the vegetables if your skillet is large enough but make sure to cook turkey through.
I’ve been craving carnitas since I was pregnant with Kyle. Right before I went into labor I told bry I wanted to get Mexican for dinner. Obviously that didn’t happen, and I never did get my fix. So finally I decided to try and make them myself. Carnitas are typically made with pork but I used chicken breasts, since that’s what we had on hand. The result did not disappoint and will definitely become a regular on our weekly meal plan.
- 6 chicken breasts, thawed
- The juice of 2 large oranges
- The juice of 2 limes
- 1 onion, chopped or sliced
- 1c water (I bet beer would be incredible too (something like shiner))
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Olive oil
- 2 tbsp crushed garlic
- Handful of cilantro (for garnish)
- Mix seasonings in a small bowl.
- Rub chicken breasts with olive oil then rub with spice mix.
- Place chicken into crock pot
- Cover with lime juice, orange juice and water (or beer)
- Add onion
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with fork
- Place chicken onto a foil lined cookie sheet
- Toss with 1/4c liquid reserves from crockpot
- Broil on high 5 minutes
- Mix, toss with 1/4c additional liquid reserves and broil for 5 more minutes
- Remove from heat and toss with the rest of the liquid reserves or until you’ve reached desired moistness
- Top with slaw, salsa, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice or whatever your heart desires and enjoy!